4.18.2011

Monday "Memories" with My Mom...

TEN WARNING SIGNS OF ALZHEIMER'S

1 -- Memory loss that disrupts daily life
2-- Challenges in planning or solving problems
3 -- Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home, at work or at leisure
 4 -- Confusion with time or place
5 -- Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships
 6 -- New problems with words in speaking or writing
7 -- Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps
8 -- Decreased or poor judgment
9 -- Withdrawal from work or social activities
10 -- Changes in mood and personality

Source

     In an attempt to raise awareness and share my personal experiences, these are some of the things that Alzheimer's Disease has caused my mom to do.....

Send me a Mother’s Day card for my Birthday
Call me four or more times in one week to ask me my address 
Set her thermostat to 81 degrees on a hot summer day
Post reminder notes all over her house, many with the same messages
Ask what restaurant she is at three times during a family dinner
Ask how she got mail on Sunday (when it's really Tuesday)
Ask what's for lunch shortly after eating lunch
Lose one of her telephones
Compliment her grandson six times about the same thing in the same day
Lose her life alert bracelet
Become disoriented in my house even though she's been there hundreds of times

These things are caused by the disease, not the person.  There are many many more examples, but my intent is not to embarrass -- only give a glimpse of the reality of AD.


No comments: