Monday Memories With My Mom

The Adventures of Caring for a Mom With Alzheimer's Disease
    Well, it's been another busy week.  My mother-in-law was visiting us for a few days from Maine.  She has always been very nice to my mom and wanted to pay her a visit so we went last Thursday.  I was thinking of taking her to lunch, but it was raining and she seemed a bit off so we didn't. 
     I was surprised to see my mom sitting on the couch with a black and blue nose and some scratches on her face.  I asked her what happened and she said she fell out of bed with her glasses on...?  The main reason I was surprised is because I have always been notified when my mom takes a fall.
     I ended up asking the Medical Team about it and they noticed it, but said she did not push her medical alert bracelet.  Then, I wanted to confirm that her bracelet was actually working since she had used it for her previous falls.  
     After a loooong wait and discussion, they looked at their printout which did not show my mom using her medical alert between Monday (when I last saw her) and Thursday.  Then, they tested the bracelet twice while I was there and it worked.  It was frustrating, though, as the staff kept referring me to other people.  I then reminded my mom to use her bracelet and to keep pushing the button until somebody comes...for what it's worth.  Otherwise, she seemed okay.
     While I was gone, my mom showed pictures to my mother-in-law and chatted with her for a bit.  I wish I would have taken their picture together, but I got distracted.  I am still trying to figure out where my mom got the Detroit Tiger hat.  It is not that she never had one, it's just that I don't remember her having one in her current apartment.  She loves those World Series bound Detroit Tigers and so do we!  I have also noticed there is something about the seniors and baseball.  They all seem to be big fans!!  I asked one of the staff if they could try to make sure my mom watched the game Thursday night when they won their series.  I am never sure if this actually happens, but I try.
     The next morning I called her around 10:30 am to see if she knew the Tigers were in the World Series.  She did know, and then she told me she was just getting ready to go to bed!!!  I told her it was morning time, but again I can only do so much....ugh! Sometimes I think I would be better off not knowing.



Lately, my mom has been describing herself as a "short fat man"...you be the judge!
(She wants her hair longer I guess)


Heather (GurleeGirrl) said...

Oh wow! He knows looks sore! I bet it's frustrating for you that sometimes she seems to get "lost" in the shuffle with the Medic Team. But, hopefully she remembers about her bracelet in teh future.

She looks cute in her Tigers hat! I agree with you too, every elderly person I know is the BIGGEST Tigers fan! I love it.

Kerri said...

You know, I bet sometimes you are better off not knowing! I'm sure it's hard though...you can't be there 24/7. I hope the medical staff are following through with your requests....but, how do you really know?

Arlene - Caregiver ordinaire said...

Oh Cindy! I am sorry that your Mom has taken another tumble. Kerri is right: You can't be there 24/7. But I am thinking the Med Team should have given you a heads up when they noticed the bruises?

My Momma forgets to use her walker sometimes. So I put it close to her bed, so she has to move it in order to get up and walk.

As always, you are doing such a great job. You amaze me with all the other family stuff you have going on! :)