Monday "Memories" With My Mom

The Adventures of Caring for a Mom With Alzheimer's Disease
     Last Tuesday I had a meeting with my mom's case manager from the Area Agency on Aging.  The meeting was at 10 am and I quickly realized it would probably be best if my mom's "friend" (Don) was not in the room.  She was not answering the phone (again) so I went straight to the dining room.  As often happens, we had crossed paths (she was on her way back to her room while I was on the way to the dining room) because the dining room is located a level below my mom's apartment.  I telephoned her from the hallway to tell her of the meeting and told her Don (who had also just come from breakfast) should probably leave the apartment even though he had just got there.
     A couple minutes later when I got to the room, Don was on his way out.  Also, my brother had coincidentally called (he had the day off) and was on his way to my mom's for a visit.  The meeting was relatively uneventful and my mom actually participated more than she usually does.  In the past, she would often defer to me and not answer questions on her own behalf.  Although some of her answers are inaccurate, it is nice to see her trying to participate.  Of course, I tweak her answers to make sure the correct information is given.  Thankfully, there have been no major medical issues and, if anything, my mom has become slightly more independent in caring for herself.  My mom repeated many times how happy she was to be living where she is and as the lady was leaving her apartment my mom told her, "I even have a boyfriend"...  We all chuckled and then my mom told us that he says, "Good Morning Sunshine" to her every morning at breakfast in the dining room.
     Sunday, all three of my kids and I went for another visit to Grandma's.  We had some supplies to bring over to her and Kristin gave her a nice manicure.  Kristin is extra good about making her time with Grandma "quality time", and I am so glad for that.  As luck would have it, my mom told us we had "just missed" Don.  The kids were all really hoping to meet him, and I had my camera and everything...  Jacob has met him once before, though. 
     We decided if we stayed until lunch time we had a good chance of meeting Don in the dining room.  We all walked down to the dining room with my mom and in the end he never showed up and we were tired of waiting.  (Figures that he's not there when we want him to be!)  We chatted with my mom and others for awhile and then decided to leave once my mom's lunch was being served.
     I just realized it has been six months since my mom moved into her senior living facility.  Although the start was a bit rough at times, she is now in a good routine, and we remain grateful that her attitude is very positive.  She always has lots of good things to say and thanks me often (very often) for taking such good care of her.  She also has a contagious laugh and the ability to laugh at herself.
All is well,

 Kristin and Grandma
 Waiting for the Dining Room to open

Life is Good!


Heather (GurleeGirrl) said...

You mom looks (and sounds) happy :) Too bad the kids didn't get to meet Don - I'm sure they are anxious.

Kerri said...

Too funny that Don wasn't around when you wanted him to be!
Such a sweet well written post Cindy!

Arlene - Caregiver ordinaire said...

I love this post! Way to go! You've got a great success on your hands - So proud of you and how well you've handled all of this. Your kids look well adjusted to all the changes around them too - nice job! :)