5.07.2011

That Was....A Variety Show!!!

  
      Friday night was the Variety Show at our elementary school.  Kristin and her girlfriend were the "Cool Club Girls" (lol) dancing to Club Can't Handle Me by Flo rida and choreographed by big sister Megan.  They did a great job and I was proud of my Kristypoo (that's what I call her to embarrass her)...
     That said...
     It was one loooong show.  About 2 - 2 1/2 hours.  In previous years it was called a "Talent Show".  Let's just say I now know why it has been renamed as a "Variety Show".  Don't get me wrong...the kids were all great, cute, energetic, or nervous...doesn't matter.  That's what makes it fun.  I believe each act was limited to about 1 minute 30 seconds...but can you imagine if they weren't!?  There were only about 35 acts.  If the whole school participated, we would still be there.  They used to have "tryouts"....now they have "auditions"....which translates into...nobody is turned away.  That is fair.  These are elementary kids.  Some of them could end up being rich and famous...many of them will become rich and famous by exploring "other avenues".  
     There were magic acts, jump roping, gymnastics, piano, a baton twirler, and one little girl comedienne (she was hilarious!), the rest were many many dancing and singing acts.  Remember....no tryouts....just auditions.  (I have been to lots of dance recitals.  Those are wonderful.  The kids practice all year for that dance and it runs very smoothly.) 
     So there we were...a bunch of parents crammed into a hot gym on a Friday night waiting for our kids 1 minute and 30 seconds of fame, many dads (and moms) secretly praying we would still be able to catch the end of Red Wings game  (Go Wings!)...  The gym was so dark....I couldn't even get any good pictures and the girls were so hyper, the only picture I got was of Kristin at home after.  Well, I filled out the forms, I drove to the dress rehearsals, I fed them dinners while they were practicing, I bought cute little matching outfits....all for them.  All because I love my daughter and my kids with all my heart... 
     That said, I'm glad it's over!!!

4 comments:

*~Dani~* said...

Okay. I am not the best at math, but if there were only 35 acts limited to a minute and half, how the heck did the show go two and a half hours? I can feel your pain!! That is too long for a movie!

Kristin looks cute though!

Cindy said...

Yes, thanks for noticing that! it does not add up...the stagehands, music screw ups, mc, the girl who cried on stage and came back later, the piano "do over" 'cause the microphone was off...I'm exhausted just thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

This sounds hysterical. I probably would have played on my iPhone until my kid got on stage. Is there video of their dance???

Cindy said...

Guess I need an iPhone!! (Some people got it on video...I will have to work on getting a copy...)