10.24.2011

Monday "Memories" With My Mom

      Another week has gone by and things are still going well for my mom.  What continues to be a great relief is that my mom is walking pretty well.  Obviously, mobility is critical to maintaining some independence.  I can now better understand how a "fall" can be so disastrous as you get older.   It is also making me aware that with the winter months coming, we will have to be extra vigilant in fall prevention.
     My mom had a podiatrist appointment last week and since it does not do much good to tell her in advance (she doesn't remember...even with notes and calendars), I just show up and she is always surprised.  I found her in the dining room enjoying her breakfast.  It was nice to see that she was socializing with the other ladies at the table.  I grabbed a cup of coffee and sat with them for a few minutes while my mom finished up her breakfast.
      We then headed off to the podiatrist who, unfortunately, was about 25 miles away from my mom's new place, but I know how important it is for my mom to get out even it's only for a drive.  Once at the doctor's office, I entertained myself by making fun of my mom's feet.  Let's just say that diabetes, age, and feet don't mix.  (Note to Self:  Going to the foot doctor might be a good way to get a free pedicure (if insurance pays)...minus the polish!?)  The good news is, my mom has the ability to laugh at herself, too.  So the doctor, who happens to be very nice and funny, got my mom all fixed up and we were on our way. 


     I had also mentioned to my mom that the American House has a podiatrist on staff and that next time we should probably see that doctor.  She thought that it was sooooo amazing that they had a podiatrist who comes in and asked me several times how I found out about that.  My mom was also very excited about that and very receptive to visit their doctor next time. 
     I then took her to lunch at Big Boy.  Although she forgets a lot of things, she does remember that she likes certain foods, and Big Boy is one of them.   
     I told her I am glad she is liking her new apartment and she always says "what's not to like"!?  I am grateful she is still able to recognize a good thing when she sees it!!!! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates on your Mom. I think of her often! Hope you realize how amazing you are . . . Love you . . . N